Searching for the Blessing in the Downpour?
Do you have a “word of the year”?
Last year my word for the year was “abundance”. However, I misunderstood at the beginning that God meant it to be learning to praise in the midst of abundant trials.
This new year falls in the midst of our seventh year in Campeche, Mexico, and I struggled to discern if this year's word was to be rain or feast, but I believe God has confirmed for me the word “RAIN” for this year. Here's how:
In 1 Kings 18, after years of draught and abundant trials and hardships, the prophet Elijah shows God's power in a show down sacrifice with the priests of the false god of Baal on Mt. Carmel said then Elijah says to King Ahab (vs 41): “Get thee up, eat and drink; for there is a sound of abundance of rain.” (KJV)
Then Elijah sends his servant to look for the rain. He says (vs 43) “Go up now, look toward the sea. And he went up, and looked, and said, There is nothing. And he said, Go again seven times. And it came to pass at the seventh time, that he said, Behold, there ariseth a little cloud out of the sea, like a man's hand.”
We left the desert to serve in Campeche 7 years ago, and have been looking for his abundant blessings here, by the sea, each year. This year, our 7th year, we will believe rain is coming and listen for the rain!
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure.
Rain in the Bible
Here are some of the things that stood out to me as I have studied rain in Scripture over the past several weeks:
- Rain in the Bible (after the flood) always carries an implication of God's blessing or God's blessing restored.
- Rain can be withheld in judgement of sin, and sent once repentance and restoration have been made. (Deut 11)
- Rain is equated with physical wealth, and lack of rain with poverty (Deut 28, the whole chapter and vs. 12)
- Rain restores, nourishes, cleanses, encourages, grows, blesses, provides.
- I AM sends the rain. – God is the blessing and is in the blessing.
- God With Us is with me in the rain. I have nothing to fear because he walks with me. (This is big personally because I've been dealing with anxiety for several years whenever we have to travel in rainy conditions.)
- There is early rain (in the fall in Israel) that are gentle rains to calm the dust and soften the ground for planting.
- There is latter rain (in the spring in Israel) that are heavier, harder, drenching rains, just before the final growth of the crops, and harvest time.
- Rain prepares the soil for the work, and also fortells and forshadows the harvest (reward for our labors) and the feasts (the blessing of plenty and ceremonious thanks to the Lord).
My Rain Journal
This year I am keeping a daily rain journal. It helps me to actively seek to see the blessings God is sending my way by writing them down. Some days it's as simple as an encouraging word from a friend, or a Scripture. And other days it's been as big as new client, an unexpected sale, or a small financial miracle.
God's blessings abound daily! Would you like to join me in listening for the rain this year and focusing on and recording God's blessings in your life?
Winter Blessings Giveaway:
This giveaway ended on Jan. 17, 2018 at 11:59PM ET. However, I encourage you to check out these resources!
- For the Love by Jen Hatmaker (physical book)
- Restoring the Lost Petal by Danielle Tate (physical book)
- Putting on the Spirit: Ten-Minute Devotions for Busy Moms by Katie Hornor (autographed, physical book)
- In Spite of Myself: How Intentional Praise can Transform Your Heart and Home by Katie Hornor (autographed, physical book)
- #IChoosePraise coffee mug
- This Herbal Salve, 4 oz.
- Starbucks gift card