For the back side of the student ID cards, I added a family photo, (so if the child should be lost, the authorities could also recognize the parents/or other family members) and the following text:
“In case of emergency please notify Parent’s Name or Parent’s Name. Phone: 000-000-0000”
Once we printed the cards in color, we took them to a local print shop and had them hard laminated. The kids were thrilled!
We had each child wear his ID in a Lanyard around his/her neck when we flew and when we visited any big attractions. And some of them actually put our family business cards in behind it and industriously gave them out to people they met.
It may seem overboard to some, but the kids actually seemed to enjoy wearing them and it gave me an added peace of mind. I think it also added a special level of fun to their outing to be wearing such an official looking name tag. And when we needed student IDs for discounts, we had them. We also got several comments from strangers about how their kids wear ID cards in school now too.
Some safety things to consider when making ID cards with photos:
- DO NOT put the child's physical address on it. You don't want anyone to be able to track down the child to a certain address should the card be lost or stolen.
- DO include student name, date of birth, and school year or effective date.
- Grade level is optional.
- Emergency contact info and medical information (such as allergies or regular medications) is optional.
If you’d like to make student IDs, but don’t feel you’re up to creating your own, here are a couple of places you can get them online:
- If you are a member of HSLDA, you can login to the membership site and print your own member cards as well as up to 4 student ID cards (without photos).
- Free Homeschool Deals – printable ID cards
- Homeschool Buyers Coop – You can design an ID card on their online template and then print it or order from them and it will come as a regular PVC plastic ID card.
- Or you can download my free template and either write in your own information or use it as a guide to create and print your own. PDF or editable PDF
If you know of other places, please leave us a note in the comments. And don't forget to check out our other homeschool printable forms!