We all know that money can’t buy love, and any kid on the planet, in the deep subconscious of his or her heart, wants time and love more than money or gifts. So how can one bridge that generational gap and really love young grandchildren? Here are 17 things my own grandparents have done to love us. Maybe you can’t do it all, but all of us can do something. Love is more of an action than a feeling, after all. Perhaps the list will spark an idea specific to the child/children you love. Be sure you don’t miss part 2: How to Love Your Adult Grandchildren.
Grandparents who love…
- Always have time to listen to them.
- Always kiss booboos.
- Help them memorize Scripture when they’re small.
- Always have snacks or cookies readily available.
- Sing with them.
- Give praise four times as often as correction.
- Always remember their birthday.
- Teach them to work.
- Let them make messes and teach them how to clean up when they’re done.
- Let them hear you pray.
- Always show more patience with them than their parents do.
- Teach them life skills.
- Pray for them and with them.
- Play games with them.
- Teach them God’s way of salvation.
- Tell them you are proud of them.
Love them, love them, love them, and in doing so you’ll teach them how to love others.
The greatest of these is love. – 1 Corinthians 13:13b
Besides the Bible, here are several other books that may help you in your grandparent journey.