Do you thrive on creativity and the arts or everything being sequential and orderly? The answer may be in part because of the side of your brain that is most dominant.
The theory of right-brain /left-brain dominance holds that the two sides of the human brain are responsible for different types of behavior and intellect. While individuals often use both sides of their brains for each everyday task, most people tend to lean towards one side or the other: left brain dominant or right brain dominant.
The Left Brain: Orderly and Logical
If you are the creative and artistic type, you may be right brain dominant, you can learn more about it in my previous post, The Right Brain: Creative and Expressive.
Today we are focusing on the characteristics of left brain dominant people and how you can develop your left brain.
What are some characteristics of left brain people?
To find out whether you or someone you know is more of a left brain dominant person, look for these tell-tale signs.
• Tend to be gifted in the sciences (math, biology, chemistry, etc.).
• Often read directions thoroughly and repeatedly.
• Like to set goals and use planners and to-do lists.
• Great at memorizing spelling, grammar rules, and learning new languages.
• Like to break problems or situations down into sequences.
• Tend to be drawn to orderly art rather than abstract art.
• Gifted at and enjoy doing puzzles and games like Sudoku, crosswords, and word searches.
How do you develop the left side of your brain?
You can develop the left side of your brain by participating in activities that exercise it.
Try a few of these activities:
• Listen to more music. Although this also develops the right brain, memorizing song lyrics is good for the left brain.
• Put a puzzle together.
• Do the crossword puzzles in your local newspaper.
• Read a book (any kind).
• Cultivate your writing skills (academic, blog writing, creative, etc.).
• Complete Sudoku puzzles.
• Exercise more! Believe it or not, exercising the body is a great way to exercise the mind and encourage clear, logical thinking.
Although you may never strike a perfect balance between your right brain and left brain, these little life hacks can bring you closer to finding intellectual equilibrium.
Understanding the differences between left and right brain dominant people will help you understand yourself and the children in your life. Are you right or left brained?