Your husband deserves to hear you express your love for him – every day. It is very important to the health of your marriage that you not only love him, but also let him hear that you do!
14 ways to say “I love you” to your husband
That they may teach the young women … to love their husbands … Titus 2:4
- Write an original romantic poem. Don't worry if it is bad or silly. Lots of people feel they can not write romantic poetry, but that is no reason to worry. Writing poetry can take years of practice. Just feel good knowing you made your husband's day by writing him a special poem.
- Give your husband a romantic thank you note. Thank him for bringing so much happiness into your life. Tell him what being his wife means to you.
- Send love letters via their mobile phone. People like getting text messages throughout their day so why not send a love letter? This way you don't have to wait until your husband gets home to read the letter. He will get it wherever he is and appreciate that you took time out of your busy day to think about him.
- Send an email. This uses the same idea as sending love letters in a text message. Sending an email to let your husband know you are thinking about him will go a long way. Especially if you get a little flirty and tell him what he can expect when he gets home.
- Read your husband poetry. This idea might seem sappy, but you can always read Song of Solomon or something else instead. Find something you will both enjoy and read it together. Read either to each other or get a copy for both of you and read it silently while you sit close and enjoy each other's company. We have enjoyed many books together this way, discussing as we go. It really helps you understand your husband's thoughts and opinions on a deeper level.
Lord, its important that I love him
In word as well as deed.
Its important that my written words
Also fulfill his needs.
Please open to my mind and tongue
A language with love filled
That loving thoughts from loving wife
Would lovely phrases yield.
- Say to him, “I’m proud of you.” We often forget to do this and it is just as important as saying, “I love you.” More than love an intimate marriage relationship is based on respect and telling your husband that you are proud of him is one way to show your respect and admiration for his character, for an accomplishment or a behavior. (See also 7 Ways to Communicate Honor to Your Husband.)
- Take an interest in his hobbies. You do not have to like all the same things but show that you are interested in things that your husband likes or cares about. It can be a way to learn more about him and have some fun all at the same time.
- Give compliments and be generous with them. Every woman wants to hear how beautiful she is and every man wants to hear how much he is respected and needed.
- Listen. Get into the habit of REALLY listening to your husband. Not the kind of listening that you do at the dinner table, with children chiming in and spilling things, but the kind of listening that lets him know you’re interested in his life, his work, his dreams. Listen and allow him a safe place to share about things he has always wanted to try or things he wants to accomplish.
- Make a photo album. Fill it up with pictures and memories of you and your husband. This is one way you can relive all the special moments in your relationship. A great place to do this is Shutterfly, and they often run great specials, so it pays to get a book designed and ready to order when the next sale hits.
- Collect notes. Collect notes and cards exchanged between the two of you and create a scrapbook.
- Rekindle old traditions. If you and your husband had a tradition when you started dating, but have forgotten it as time has gone on, re-establish that tradition and show him you have not forgotten something that meant so much to both of you.
- Create a memory box. Start a memory box to store old tickets, brochures from places visited, event ticket stubs, expired park passes, cards attached to flowers received, old love notes or letters, birthday cards or anniversary cards from your husband, anything that the two of you did together. Every once in awhile, pull the box out and look at the items with him. Reminisce about each memento, and keep all the special times in your life close to your heart!
- Get our your wedding album or video and go through it together. Make sure you express that marrying him was one of the best things you ever did. Remember together the feelings and excitement of beginning your life together and how much the Lord has blessed you to the current place in your marriage.
Loving with our words is very important. The above are just a few of the ways to say “I Love You”! What other ways do you show your love to your husband with your words? Don't forget about the other way to say “I Love You”, such as acts of service, quality time, etc. I would love to hear your suggestions too!