If you had to explain the word missionary, what would you say?
I recently asked a group of people this question. Here are the answers some of them gave:
- Jen: Jesus told me to go into the world and make disciples. Then tell them about Jesus, naturally.
- Sarah Joy: I’m so thankful that God rescued me, and I’m happy to go anywhere and share the Gospel. Everyone deserves to hear it!
- Maureen: People in my country think missionaries start childrens’ homes and give away free food. I tell them that we came to teach people how they can have a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
- DeeDee: God has given us His Word as a guide and “instruction book” in life. He has done so much for us! That love and sacrifice He so freely gave causes us to want to live for Him. Just like the beggar that finds bread and runs to tell others where they too can find bread, we must tell others of His love for them and His free gift of salvation.
- Jenn: Being a missionary is a life-long commitment.
So, what is a missionary?
Missionaries are followers of God who feels led by God to share the Gospel with people who have never been taught about Jesus before either nationally or internationally. A missionary is not better than other Christians. Missionaries are normal people who choose to obey God and tell people about Jesus in places all around the world.
Where do missionaries live?
Missionaries live in every place that you can imagine. Sometimes on islands, sometimes in deserts, sometimes in the jungle, sometimes in cities, sometimes in villages, and sometimes in places with tons of ice and snow. But in every place their principle purpose is the same. They want the whole world to put their trust in Jesus as the Savior!
What does a missionary do?
Missionaries do many different things. Some are doctors or dentists, some are teachers or students, some are builders or engineers, some are preachers, some are web designers or writers, most are mothers, fathers, or children of someone.
We are missionaries (visit our ministry site here) and we homeschool our children, hold Bible studies, host visitors in our home, conduct services, speak at conferences, street witness, run a bookstore and a Bible training center, and anything else God directs us to do for him here in Mexico.
In everything that we do as missionaries, we are WITNESSES of Jesus Christ. A witness is someone who has seen or experienced something and then shares that experience with other people. Missionaries are people, just like you, who are followers of Jesus and servants to others and who have experienced God’s love and forgiveness. They are witnesses who share about that love and forgiveness with others and teach them how to be adopted into God’s family and how to live for Him.
Are you interested in missions? Check here for other interesting posts on the topic.
Want a good book in the meantime? Check out our list of recommended missionary biographies here.