Kids love to play on tablets, and as parents we like to know their time is spent in a productive way. There are so many free apps available for learning, that sometimes it is hard to know which ones are good and which ones should be skipped.
I have taken the guess work out for you! And don’t forget to grab the FREE Spanish 1 workbook at the end!
Here ten free apps for learning Spanish with a Kindle (they may be available on mobile phones and other devices as well). Each and every one was downloaded, tried out (by myself and/or my assistant), and ranked in order of which apps we felt were the best. Each app is free and/or free but with in-app purchases, and will help your child learn Spanish vocabulary.
We tried out several other learning apps as well, but they didn’t make our list because of too much advertising, they caused our Kindle to freeze up, or we felt they were a waste of time.
As always, please double check the price before purchasing (as they can change without notice), double check your safety settings, and use your best judgment when allowing your children to use any app.
Top Ten Free Apps for Learning Spanish
10. Learn Spanish With Little Pim: Colors – This is a short app that teaches colors in Spanish through a story about Little Pim. There are also pictures of Little Pim to color. It is very basic, but would be fun for preschoolers.
9. Learn Spanish Free – Phrases & Vocabulary – This is more like a fun dictionary, but it is still a great way to practice Spanish. You are able to look up words and phrases making this a good choice for reading age kids through adults who are studying Spanish. Unlike a regular dictionary, it is full of pictures and bright colors.
8. English Spanish Match’Em Up TM Language Adventure – This is a matching game. There are various topics and levels of difficulty to pick from. The game starts off simple with matching pictures and then having the Spanish word spoken. Eventually it gets to the point of matching the English and Spanish words. It moves quickly and will help with memorizing different vocabulary. This app teaches a variety of vocabulary and doesn’t stick with strict subjects. In the same section your child will learn the words; nose, factory, house, and fairy. This is one thing that set it apart from other apps.
7. Learn Spanish Words 1 2 and 3 by Firetap Mobile – There are 3 separate apps, each one has a selection of free sections and the rest have to be paid for. Your child is shown a picture and has to match it to the spoken Spanish word. What makes these apps nice is the option to hear the word in English as well.
6. Fun Spanish: Language Learning games for kids 3-10 by StudyCat – This app comes with 2 free lessons, colors and animals. Each lesson has different games to help your child learn the vocabulary words. There are 10 different games for the two lessons giving you quite a few options for practicing the vocabulary.