I was talking with my kids this week about some of our favorite family traditions for Valentine's Day. I loved hearing them rehearse their favorite memories of things that made them feel special. Then I asked on our Facebook page, and some of you told me about your traditions too.
If you don't have a habit of doing something special on Valentines Day, I would encourage you to start, if for no other reason, than it's reason enough to make a little extra effort to make the important people in your life feel special and loved, and it doesn't have to be expensive gifts either.
Here are some of our favorite family traditions for Valentine's Day:
- Waking up to red, pink and white paper hearts strewn all over the floors on Valentines Day. It's like it rained love and happiness. I LOVE to see their excitement at such a small thing.
- Draping the couch and decking the table with our Valentine's blanket and decorations.
- Writing a love letter to each of my children.
- Making heart shaped sugar cookies and frosting them together. (We love fun cookie cutters!)
- Getting a new festive t-shirt and taking family photos.
- A special candy treat that we only get at Valentines Day. (When I was small it was conversation hearts and cinnamon red hot hearts. For my children, it's hollow chocolate eggs with mini prizes inside.)
- Making Valentines cards for cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents.
- Making homemade goodies and cards for friends and neighbors.
- Pink heart-shaped pancakes for breakfast.
- Getting fancy flutes or pedestal glasses to drink our sparkling grape juice in and have a fancy dinner.
Family Traditions for Valentine's Day From Readers:
- When I was a little girl my dad would always buy my sisters and I a heart shaped selections box, the kind with different types of filled chocolates inside. I loved the chocolates but loved even more the feeling that I was loved by my dad.
- We always go out to eat together.
- My Grandma always made a heart shaped double layer chocolate cake on Valentines Day. Butter cream icing and sprinkles.
Need more ideas? Our Pinterest board is full of some great crafts and inexpensive ideas to create lasting memories.
What are your favorite Valentine Traditions? We would love to have you share them with us! It would be fun to try something new this year.