I have loved books all of my life! I cannot remember a time when I didn’t have a book in my hand, in my bag or very close by. I love fiction and non-fiction, biographies and inspirational/devotionals books. (See a list of some of my favorites here!) But perhaps most of all I love picture books!
If a book is good enough to read at 6 years old, it is good enough to read at 60! Good literature does not loose it’s appeal with the passing of time.
People who read books once and never pick them up again just don’t understand this love affair with words, though it’s not just the words that attract us: The smell of an old book (or a new one) can be the best smell on earth to a book lover. The feel of the paper between their fingers will never be completely replaced by the cool smoothness of an electronic reading device. The beauty of the artwork that says so much before you even reach the words… well, it’s enough to make a book lover giddy!
So what kinds of gifts would a book lover enjoy? I hope this book lover gift guide will help you find just the right gifts for the book lover in your life!
- A BOOK THEY HAVE NOT READ – could be a tough one to pull off, but definitely a great gift if you succeed in finding one they have not read!
- A KINDLE, NOOK or IPAD – for those times when it just isn’t feasible to carry your entire library in your bag.
- ACCESSORIES FOR KINDLE, NOOK, or IPAD – covers, earbuds, etc.
- BOOKMARKS – you (or your kids) can make beautiful ones with scraps of paper, stickers, glue and a little imagination!
- BOOKLIGHTS – this is one of my favorites!
- JOURNALS – most book lovers are also writers, either professional or amateur, so give them a journal worthy of their own words.
- A READER’S TREAT BASKET – fill a basket or bookbag with the book lover’s favorite hot chocolates/teas, cookies, candies, snacks, candles, gift cards etc.
- STICKY NOTES and tabs – for marking info they want to return to.
- highlighters – for marking favorite quotes or important info.
- MICRON PENS (don’t bleed through, archival quality) – these are my favorite, great for use in your thin paged Bible too!
- GIFT CARDS – think Amazon, Barnes and Noble, a local book store, used book store or a local coffee shop.
- A BOOK BAG – Barnes and Noble always has some with great book quotes on them.
- A PERSONALIZED TOTE BAG
- A BOOK DIVERSION SAFE
- A MEMBERSHIP to a magazine or book of the month club
- A NEW BOOKSHELF – you can never have too many in my opinion.
- FANCY or UNIQUE BOOKENDS – I treasure the elephant ones I received as a gift once!
- WRITE A STORY just for them
- TICKETS to meet or hear their favorite author speak (if the author is a contemporary)
- TICKETS to the their favorite author’s home and/or museum – one of the most inspiring things I ever did as a book lover and aspiring writer was to take 3 hours to go through the home museum of Carl Sandburg.
- AN ARTWORK PRINT from one of their favorite illustrators – David Small
is one of my all time favorite illustrators. He is a master with water colors!
- AN AUTOGRAPH – get their favorite book autographed by the author
- A FIRST EDITION, collector’s edition, or audio/video copy of their favorite book
- DONATE A BOOK to their favorite library in their honor
- DONATE A BENCH or a chair to their favorite library in their honor
- SPREAD THE BOOK FEVER – donate a copy of their favorite book to each child in a class at a low income school, or to a school they used to attend, in their honor
- BOOK DATES – homemade tickets for “a night at the bookstore and one free book (up to $ _______ value)” so you can plan one night a month to spend time with your book lover and also gift them with a book, or let them pick one out during the evening.
- A LIBRARY – if you could afford it, the most incredible gift for any book lover would be to design and build their very own library. See my pinterest Dream Library board if you need some inspiration.
But however you choose to spoil your book lover, remember that words are precious to them, so be sure to include a very personal message along with whatever gift you choose. It is more than likely that your message will be treasured far longer than the gift.
If you are a book lover, what else would you add to this list?
This post is part of the 20 Days of Ultimate Christmas Lists Series on Paradise Praises. Subscribe in the box below to be sure you don’t miss a single post! And don’t forget to follow my Christmas boards on Pinterest too!