Grandma Madge was a family friend whose influence made a huge impact on my young life. I still remember her guest room with one end piled to the ceiling with fabric scraps, her fabulous handmade quilts, her special raisin cookies, her gourd water dipper hung by the cool mountain stream a few yards from her house, her flower garden filled with gorgeous hydrangeas and bleeding hearts, her concentrated listening to the “important things” a child wanted to share with her, and hearing her prayers for others.
From her, I learned that a good grandmother:
- has time to listen to the joys and woes of “little people”
- inspires and cultivates beauty all around her
- selflessly loves and gives to others, speaking life into them
Grammy is another family friend who has had a grandmother’s influence in my adult life. Grammy has a way of giving straight-talking counsel without stinging, and she knows the secret of encouraging without puffing one up.
Though I will never attain to her level of graciousness, hospitality, generosity and pie making excellence, (I do aim to give it my best shot), I have learned from her that a great grandmother:
- holds loosely to this world’s goods
- knows how to love the unlovely
- knows how to do the hard things with joy
- Inspires and motivates others to excellence
- will stop and pray with you over anything at any time of day or night
Are You a Good Grandmother?
- What memories or qualities of your Grandmother have made the biggest impact on your life?
- Was a legacy left to you that you desire to replicate?
- What legacy do you wish to leave behind?
- Is there anything you can do today to begin being the grandmother you hope to become?
- Who has God placed in your life who needs a mother’s or grandmother’s influence?
- What will you do to begin making a difference in that young (or younger) person’s life?
- Loving your Young Grandchildren
- Loving your Adult Grandchildren
- How to be a Good Grandparent to Homeschoolers
- 8 Things Grandparents can do to Connect with Out of Town Grandchildren
- Traveling with Grandparents: 5 Life Lessons to Teach your Grandkids
- A Grandparent’s Roles in the Family
- Camping with Grandkids
- How to Host a Cousin Camp for the Grandkids